A visit to the doctor can often be an uneasy experience. While the staff at Paradigm Orthopedics and Sports Medicine strives to make the process as pleasant and productive as possible, there are steps that you can take to make the most of your visit.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
Preparing for your appointment
- If this is your first time visiting us at Paradigm Orthopedics, take a moment to print and complete our New Patient Package and bring it with you to your appointment.
- Arrive 15-30 minutes early for your visit to make sure you have time to complete the check-in process prior to your scheduled appointment. If you’re scheduled for testing please follow any instructions specific to your test.
- Make sure you bring your insurance card, a picture ID and any information provided by your referring physician.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please call the office immediately to cancel or reschedule (985-520-0909).
- Keep a written list of all of your symptoms and problems.
- Document your health history (current medications, allergies, past illnesses, past medical treatments and family health conditions).
- Ask questions about your diagnosis. Be sure you understand what the doctor says. Ask for an explanation of any terms you do not understand.
- Be sure you know the instructions for any medication, whether a generic version of the drug is available and what the possible side effects are.
- Ask what treatment you should follow, including medical treatment and dietary and lifestyle changes.
- If you need tests, ask how much the tests cost and whether your insurance will cover them.
- Learn how often you should have these tests and whether they will be scheduled and performed in the physician’s office.
- Ask how to prepare for any tests you may need.
- Take note of when and how you will receive the test results. If a follow-up visit is needed, ask when it should be scheduled.